Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Start Curb Appeal at the Front Door

Hello! I'm Jen from the blog Migonis Home. My husband grew up in the same town in upstate New York as Kim and since she's moved across the country and AJ and I have met, married and settled into Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA where we are fixing up a small Cape.



I have a new favorite inexpensive improvement to our house. This post has been in the works for years. I mean years. My most memorable home design magazine cover is without a doubt Martha Stewart's {now defunct} Blueprint magazine. The cover showed an incredibly sharp door and I decided to recreate it for myself. After receiving paint from Behr for a house makeover I had the front door paint just waiting to go on the door. I knew that would be an easy to tackle project.

To say I'm thrilled would be an understatement. :)


The door is Club Navy by Behr.




Here's how I did it...
Once I painted the door navy I made a stencil for myself. I traced the characters that I taped to the door and then did a little free-handing on the "N" where the closest font in Word didn't match up to the vision I had for the door based off the Blueprint magazine photo.

pardon the huge dot on the photo... something was on my lens. :)

I made sure to press down incredibly hard with my pen so there would be a faint outline that I could use while painting. Once I was done attempting to fill in the outline with Country Chic Paint's Simplicity for the numbers I realized I had to do some touch-ups with my navy paint after it had thoroughly dried. 




Does it look as crisp as vinyl letters would? No. But I love knowing that I did a custom job myself and that it was a $0 update. 

I used plastic garbage bags and painter's tape to tape off the door and I spray painted the door knocker and door knob. They are so sharp and really pop now. 


It's definitely makes our house stand out far more than it did previously. If you are looking for a quick weekend project to bring some character to your home then look no farther... I'd love for  you to follow Migonis Home for new posts and daily inspiration:

Google +Bloglovin' | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram

Thank you, Kim, for letting me pop by your blog today and chat about a simple upgrade to your home! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment